Craig Wood Golf Club Course Details
Craig Wood Golf Course is a beautiful, par 72 course that spans 6,554 yards in the Adirondack countryside. Owned and operated by the town of North Elba, this is one of the finest courses in the Lake Placid golf community.
It is often said that a course can be judged on the number of memorable holes that it contains. Craig Wood Golf Club features more than its share of challenging holes that will leave a lasting impression on players. Take for example the 18th hole, which forces golfers to strike a precise drive over a ravine that is guarded by trees and the rough on the left and out of bounds to the right. It is the perfect finish to this Lake Placid golf course.
The Adirondack Mountains and their unique, inspirational scenery surrounded the course, which carves its way through the Adirondacks. Designed in 1925 by Seymour Wood, this course has served as the focal point for Lake Placid golf for generations. With a strong dedication to maintaining tradition yet upgrading as needed, Craig Wood Golf Club will continue to attract players from across the world.
The Craig Wood Story
Craig Wood was a Lake Placid native who was elected to the World Golf Hall of Fame in 2008. He was the winner of the Masters Tournament in 1941 as well as the US Open and 21 PGA Tour events. He is also well known for being the victim of Gene Sarazen's famous double eagle at the 1935 Masters Tournament which is commemorated at Sarazen's Bridge on the 15th hole of the prestigious Augusta course. He was a member of three US Ryder Cup teams and holds the long drive record on the " Old Course" at St. Andrews of 430 yards.
In 1954, the Town of North Elba honored Craig Wood by changing the name of the Lake Placid Golf and Country Club to the Craig Wood Golf Course. Craig Wood was on of Lake Placid's most illusions citizens. He is buried in the North Elba Cemetery on Old Military Road overlooking the Lake Placid Horseshow Grounds.